Start your engines: Michelle Obama going to NASCAR
WASHINGTON (AP) - November 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- It will be Michelle Obama and Jill Biden instructing NASCAR's best to start their engines as the racing season comes to a close in Florida.
The first lady and the vice president's wife will visit Homestead-Miami Speedway on Nov. 20 as it hosts the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup finale, the Ford 400.
The two women will serve as grand marshals for the event, leading the pre-race ceremony and offering the famous instructions: "Gentlemen, start your engines."
The event is part of the first lady's Joining Forces program to encourage Americans to support military families.
The crowd will include 5,000 active duty and retired military personnel and families, and a military family will join the grand marshals as they carry out their duties.
washington, d.c., michelle obama, veterans, national/world
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash