Gunman fatally shoots self at Ill. FedEx facility
BEDFORD PARK, Ill. - November 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- A gunman went into a FedEx shipping facility in suburban Chicago on Thursday morning and fired several shots before fatally shooting himself, but no other injuries were reported, police said.
Bedford police received a 911 call around 8 a.m. about a domestic disturbance at the FedEx facility in the suburb about 15 miles southwest of Chicago, said Chief Daniel Godfrey. While units were en route, the department received several calls of shots being fired inside, he said.
Several law enforcement agencies responding to the scene helped employees exit the facility and secure the building. SWAT team members who went inside discovered that the shooter had killed himself with a revolver, police said.
Cook County Sheriff's spokesman Frank Bilecki said police had earlier used a remote camera to identify the gunman and look for any victims. The gunman's name was being withheld pending notification of family, Godfrey said.
FedEx spokesman Bryson Thornton said a news conference was planned for later in the day.
"We are just relieved there are no other reported injuries at this time," Thornton said.
chicago, illinois, suicide, fedex, national/world
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Woman hospitalized in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; hundreds rescued 24 min ago
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore