Western NY churchgoers receive $100 in envelopes
DEPEW, N.Y. (AP) - November 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Dozens of congregants at a western New York church received a little something extra while attending services this past weekend.
Envelopes each containing a $100 bill were handed out to about 85 families and individuals older than 18 near the end of Sunday's service at The Vine Wesleyan Church in Depew, in suburban Buffalo. The cash was accompanied by a letter telling recipients that the money could help them meet a need in their lives or the lives of someone else.
The Rev. Christopher Baldwin told The Buffalo News that the church's leaders decided to give to its own congregation rather than collect Christmas Eve offerings that typically have been donated to places recovering from natural disasters.
Karen Fohl of Lancaster says she and her husband plan to double the $100 and donate it to the Buffalo City Mission.
new york, religion, national/world
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead 46 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today 9 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local help on the way for tornado victims
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township 15 min ago
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 42 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids 42 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Street-level interactive weather map
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
46 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos