Western NY churchgoers receive $100 in envelopes
DEPEW, N.Y. (AP) - November 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Dozens of congregants at a western New York church received a little something extra while attending services this past weekend.
Envelopes each containing a $100 bill were handed out to about 85 families and individuals older than 18 near the end of Sunday's service at The Vine Wesleyan Church in Depew, in suburban Buffalo. The cash was accompanied by a letter telling recipients that the money could help them meet a need in their lives or the lives of someone else.
The Rev. Christopher Baldwin told The Buffalo News that the church's leaders decided to give to its own congregation rather than collect Christmas Eve offerings that typically have been donated to places recovering from natural disasters.
Karen Fohl of Lancaster says she and her husband plan to double the $100 and donate it to the Buffalo City Mission.
new york, religion, national/world
- China: Vietnam detects signals from missing plane 24 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos