Helicopter crashes installing Christmas tree in NZ
AUCKLAND, New Zealand (AP) - November 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- A helicopter helping install a Christmas tree on Auckland's waterfront has crashed in dramatic fashion, but the pilot escaped serious injury.
Footage captured by Television New Zealand on Wednesday shows the pilot slowly descending from about 25 feet (8 meters) when the chopper's blades appear to get caught in cables attached to scaffolding. The rear of the helicopter snaps and the pilot is tossed about as the helicopter smashes into the ground.
The television station reports that pilot Greg Gribble, who has 20 years experience, says he's "doing fine" after his ordeal.
new zealand, helicopter crash, christmas, national/world
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 21 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery 45 min ago
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses 29 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 20 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 17 min ago
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career 10 min ago
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed 46 min ago
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
21 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
20 min ago
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay...
17 min ago
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
10 min ago