Arrest in Chicago hospital parking garage shooting
CHICAGO (AP) - November 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- A housekeeping employee suspected in the fatal shooting of a woman inside a Chicago hospital parking garage, which prompted an hours-long lockdown, was arrested during a Friday traffic stop, police said.
The woman was shot late Thursday in a University of Illinois at Chicago hospital garage and later died, authorities said. Her name hadn't been released pending notification of her family.
University police characterized the killing as an "apparent domestic-related shooting" in a campus alert posted early Friday on the school's website and said officers were seeking a man who was a housekeeper at the hospital.
Officers pulled the 47-year-old suspect over for a routine traffic stop at 6:30 a.m. Friday, and the officer recognized the man from a description in the alert, university police spokesman Mark Rosati said. The suspect fled the car and was arrested a few blocks away, he said.
A weapon was recovered but officers didn't immediately know if it was used in the shooting.
Rosati said the suspect had worked at the hospital for 15 years, but he declined to discuss his relationship to the woman who was killed.
The hospital was locked down for hours while police searched for the gunman but resumed normal operations around 5 a.m. Friday. Rosati said authorities don't believe the gunman was ever inside the hospital after the shooting.
The garage is near the hospital but not attached to it, Rosati said. He wasn't sure whether the hospital has metal detectors but said the university has security cameras posted indoors and outdoors across its 250-acre campus.
chicago, illinois, hospitals, shooting, national/world
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Camden teen reported missing 9 min ago
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series 37 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose