NH man gets 15 to 30 years for killing wife
BRENTWOOD, N.H. (AP) -December 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- A New Hampshire man has been sentenced to 15 to 30 years in prison for beating his wife to death with a flashlight when he arrived home to find she had strangled their son and tried to kill their daughter.
Thirty-eight-year-old Christopher Smeltzer admits he killed his wife, Mara Pappalardo, at their Auburn home last November.
He said he "lost his marbles" when he saw 4-year-old Mason dead with a ribbon around his neck and 7-year-old daughter Mercey's body dangling off a bed. Mercey survived.
Smeltzer was first charged with second-degree murder for the November 2010 killing. Prosecutors later downgraded that to manslaughter.
Pappalardo had been hospitalized previously for mental illness. Prosecutors say she was obsessed with death.
new hampshire, sentencing, national/world
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man