George McGovern falls before planned TV appearance
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) - December 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- Former Democratic presidential candidate George McGovern has been hospitalized after falling and hitting his head while getting ready for a live interview on C-SPAN.
McGovern's daughter Ann McGovern tells The Associated Press that her father fell in Mitchell, S.D., and is being transported by helicopter to a Sioux Falls hospital. The former South Dakota senator was getting set to take part in a live program called "The Contenders," focusing on failed presidential candidates who changed the landscape of American politics.
Ann McGovern says the injury is unrelated to her 89-year-old father's hospitalization in late October for exhaustion.
McGovern fell outside of the Dakota Wesleyan University's McGovern Library in Mitchell, which is across the street from one of his homes. Witnesses say he was bleeding profusely but conscious and talking.
south dakota, national/world
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 2 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos