George McGovern falls before planned TV appearance
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) - December 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- Former Democratic presidential candidate George McGovern has been hospitalized after falling and hitting his head while getting ready for a live interview on C-SPAN.
McGovern's daughter Ann McGovern tells The Associated Press that her father fell in Mitchell, S.D., and is being transported by helicopter to a Sioux Falls hospital. The former South Dakota senator was getting set to take part in a live program called "The Contenders," focusing on failed presidential candidates who changed the landscape of American politics.
Ann McGovern says the injury is unrelated to her 89-year-old father's hospitalization in late October for exhaustion.
McGovern fell outside of the Dakota Wesleyan University's McGovern Library in Mitchell, which is across the street from one of his homes. Witnesses say he was bleeding profusely but conscious and talking.
south dakota, national/world
- More Snow on the Way 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 47 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft 51 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced 59 min ago
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- AAA: Prepare your car for winter driving now!
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- More Snow on the Way
50 min ago
- Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash
49 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration...
51 min ago