AP Source: US to weigh gay rights in foreign aid
WASHINGTON (AP) - December 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Obama administration will begin considering how countries treat gay and lesbian citizens when making decisions about allocating foreign aid, an official familiar with the decision says.
The White House is expected to issue a presidential memorandum announcing the change Tuesday morning. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will follow up the announcement with a speech in Geneva later in the day.
The presidential memorandum is the first U.S. government strategy to deal with human rights abuses against gays and lesbians abroad.
The official spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to discuss the announcement before it was announced.
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Overnight Snow Showers South
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 11 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital