7th grade teacher accused of spanking SC students
LAKE WYLIE, S.C. (AP) - December 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- A South Carolina middle school teacher has turned himself in to authorities to face assault and battery charges after he was accused of spanking three students.
Forty-eight-year-old Chris Petrasek turned himself in to sheriff's deputies late Wednesday morning. Petrasek is a seventh-grade math teacher at Oakridge Middle School in Lake Wylie.
The area's schools have a policy against using corporal punishment or any physical force to discipline students.
The students said they were spanked for getting a low grade, missing a question or talking out of turn.
The boys say they were spanked between September and November.
Petrasek also coached wrestling at the school. He's been on leave since Nov. 22. Petrasek had worked in the Clover school district since 2007. Lake Wylie is about 85 miles north of Columbia.
south carolina, school, national/world
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 1 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad