Friend: Va. Tech shooter had visited gun range
RADFORD, Va. (AP) - December 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- The man who authorities say killed a Virginia Tech police officer had visited a shooting range this year but hadn't gone for several months because he didn't have bullets for his gun, according to a friend.
Matt Dailey told The Roanoke Times in a story published Sunday that he considered 22-year-old Ross Truett Ashley his best friend. Authorities say Ashley killed police officer Deriek Crouse on the Virginia Tech campus while the officer made a traffic stop Thursday, then killed himself not long after.
Dailey said he and Ashley had made two or three trips to the shooting range - the same one used by Seung-Hui Cho, the gunman who killed 32 people and then himself on the campus in 2007.
However, Dailey dismissed any comparisons between Cho and his friend. He also said he didn't think Ashley had used his gun for some time.
"He didn't keep (the gun) locked away, but all summer I don't think he had any bullets for the gun," Dailey said. "He didn't buy bullets that often because bullets are expensive."
There were no red flags to suggest Ashley had been planning anything, Dailey said, echoing statements made by other friends in recent interviews with The Associated Press. Ashley could be withdrawn and "was definitely off in some ways" but not more so than anyone else, Dailey told the newspaper.
Furthermore, he said he didn't think Ashley was the type of person to carry out such a drastic act without some sort of reason.
"But I'm not sure what the reason is because I didn't get to talk to him," Dailey said.
Information from: The Roanoke Times, http://www.roanoke.com
virginia, shooting, school, school shooting, national/world
- At least 16 hurt in East Harlem building explosion 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 14 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money 58 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 48 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
30 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New...
26 min ago