Hundreds mourn slain Va. Tech officer
BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - December 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Virginia Tech police officer ambushed in a shooting that revived memories of the 2007 massacre on campus was eulogized before hundreds as a loving husband, father and public servant.
Bagpipers somberly escorted the flag-draped coffin of Deriek W. Crouse into a campus coliseum for Monday's funeral as officers, family, friends and dignitaries looked on.
Gov. Bob McDonnell called the Army veteran who had served in Iraq a lifelong public servant.
Crouse was slain Thursday during a routine traffic stop in the coliseum's parking lot. A student at a nearby college who police said shot Crouse was found dead afterward of a self-inflicted gunshot wound nearby. Investigators said they found no link between them.
Crouse joined Tech's force six months after the massacre that left 32 dead, including the gunman.
virginia, shooting, school, school shooting, national/world
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- School Closings & Delays
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers
- Nearly 1 foot fo snow in parts of Delaware
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands 14 min ago
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
34 min ago