Hundreds mourn slain Va. Tech officer
BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - December 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Virginia Tech police officer ambushed in a shooting that revived memories of the 2007 massacre on campus was eulogized before hundreds as a loving husband, father and public servant.
Bagpipers somberly escorted the flag-draped coffin of Deriek W. Crouse into a campus coliseum for Monday's funeral as officers, family, friends and dignitaries looked on.
Gov. Bob McDonnell called the Army veteran who had served in Iraq a lifelong public servant.
Crouse was slain Thursday during a routine traffic stop in the coliseum's parking lot. A student at a nearby college who police said shot Crouse was found dead afterward of a self-inflicted gunshot wound nearby. Investigators said they found no link between them.
Crouse joined Tech's force six months after the massacre that left 32 dead, including the gunman.
virginia, shooting, school, school shooting, national/world
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 25 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
25 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
11 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos