Trump says he won't host Republican debate
NEW YORK - December 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- Donald Trump says he is pulling out of a Republican presidential debate he had agreed to moderate in Iowa.
The real estate mogul announced Tuesday that he was stepping back in order to preserve the option of running for president in case he's not satisfied that the eventual Republican nominee can defeat President Barack Obama. The conservative website Newsmax was to host the debate Dec. 27.
But the debate has been in jeopardy ever since Mitt Romney signaled he would not participate. Other candidates bowed out. Only Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum agreed to take part.
Many Republican strategists warned that a presidential debate moderated by Trump, star of "Celebrity Apprentice," would create a circus-like atmosphere that might diminish the candidates vying to challenge Obama.
donald trump, mitt romney, michele bachmann, newt gingrich, republicans, election, national/world
- Video captures Laundromat robbery 3 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee 27 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 39 min ago
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 35 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks...
35 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos