Trump says he won't host Republican debate
NEW YORK - December 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- Donald Trump says he is pulling out of a Republican presidential debate he had agreed to moderate in Iowa.
The real estate mogul announced Tuesday that he was stepping back in order to preserve the option of running for president in case he's not satisfied that the eventual Republican nominee can defeat President Barack Obama. The conservative website Newsmax was to host the debate Dec. 27.
But the debate has been in jeopardy ever since Mitt Romney signaled he would not participate. Other candidates bowed out. Only Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum agreed to take part.
Many Republican strategists warned that a presidential debate moderated by Trump, star of "Celebrity Apprentice," would create a circus-like atmosphere that might diminish the candidates vying to challenge Obama.
donald trump, mitt romney, michele bachmann, newt gingrich, republicans, election, national/world
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 39 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens 25 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 24 min ago
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer 22 min ago
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car 21 min ago
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI 28 min ago
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 19 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 32 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
29 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
39 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
25 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite,...
32 min ago