China probing blast at Apple supplier factory
SHANGHAI (AP) - December 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating the cause of an explosion over the weekend that injured dozens of people at the Shanghai factory of a supplier to Apple Inc. They are ordering safety precautions to prevent further accidents.
An official in Shanghai's Songjiang district said Tuesday that the government formed an investigation group and ordered safety checks at the Riteng Computer Accessory Co. factory, a subsidiary of Apple supplier Pegatron Corp.
Apple spokeswoman in China Carolyn Wu expressed the company's sympathies for the 61 injured and said it was working with Pegatron to understand the cause of the blast.
Critics have taken Apple to task for alleged violations of labor and environmental standards by its China-based suppliers, and the company has said it is working to resolve such problems.
china, explosion, ipad, iphone, ipod, national/world
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs