China probing blast at Apple supplier factory
SHANGHAI (AP) - December 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating the cause of an explosion over the weekend that injured dozens of people at the Shanghai factory of a supplier to Apple Inc. They are ordering safety precautions to prevent further accidents.
An official in Shanghai's Songjiang district said Tuesday that the government formed an investigation group and ordered safety checks at the Riteng Computer Accessory Co. factory, a subsidiary of Apple supplier Pegatron Corp.
Apple spokeswoman in China Carolyn Wu expressed the company's sympathies for the 61 injured and said it was working with Pegatron to understand the cause of the blast.
Critics have taken Apple to task for alleged violations of labor and environmental standards by its China-based suppliers, and the company has said it is working to resolve such problems.
china, explosion, ipad, iphone, ipod, national/world
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing 57 min ago
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage 20 min ago
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ