Footwear frenzy over retro Jordans
December 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- The return of a popular sneaker sparked mayhem at malls across the country Friday which led to several arrests.
Brawls broke out as shoppers rushed to get a pair of the highly anticipated "Air Jordan Eleven Retro Concords".
A mob stormed through the doors in Indiana, and in California, police arrested a man after he fired his gun into the air sending the crowd for cover.
The release of Nike's new Air Jordan basketball shoes have caused problems for shoppers at some New Jersey malls as well.
Authorities say a Jersey City man was stabbed when a brawl broke out Thursday night between several people waiting on line at the Newport Centre Mall to buy the shoes.
But the 20-year-old victim, whose name was not disclosed, was expected to recover from his injuries.
Authorities say the brawl occurred around 10:15 p.m., as about 300 people were waiting to buy the shoes.
Nike originally released the Air Jordan line in 1995.
california, indiana, new jersey, national/world
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver killed in collision with Taxi Cab in Olney 17 min ago
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Clouds to sun, cool today
44 min ago