Footwear frenzy over retro Jordans
December 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- The return of a popular sneaker sparked mayhem at malls across the country Friday which led to several arrests.
Brawls broke out as shoppers rushed to get a pair of the highly anticipated "Air Jordan Eleven Retro Concords".
A mob stormed through the doors in Indiana, and in California, police arrested a man after he fired his gun into the air sending the crowd for cover.
The release of Nike's new Air Jordan basketball shoes have caused problems for shoppers at some New Jersey malls as well.
Authorities say a Jersey City man was stabbed when a brawl broke out Thursday night between several people waiting on line at the Newport Centre Mall to buy the shoes.
But the 20-year-old victim, whose name was not disclosed, was expected to recover from his injuries.
Authorities say the brawl occurred around 10:15 p.m., as about 300 people were waiting to buy the shoes.
Nike originally released the Air Jordan line in 1995.
california, indiana, new jersey, national/world
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
- Lots of clouds, damp today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in Hatfield robbery
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk... 54 min ago
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport
- Actress Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge