At least 25 dead in Nigeria suicide bombing
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) - December 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- A police commissioner says a suicide bomber has detonated his explosive-laden car in northeast Nigeria, causing an unknown number of injuries.
The attack Sunday was one of at least four explosions across Africa's most populous nation on Christmas Day.
A radical Muslim sect known as Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for attacks on two churches that left at least 25 people dead.
Local police commissioner Tanko Lawan said the suicide car bombing happened around noon in the Yobe state capital of Damaturu, targeting the headquarters of Nigeria's secret police in the area.
In the last year, Boko Haram has carried out increasingly bloody attacks in its campaign to implement strict Shariah law across Nigeria.
suicide bombing, christmas, national/world
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 54 min ago
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity 45 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 56 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
49 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
56 min ago