Utah woman, son rescued after Facebook post
SALT LAKE CITY - December 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- Utah police say a woman used Facebook to get help after she and her 17-month-old son were held hostage at a residence for nearly five days.
Salt Lake County Jail documents say the woman posted on Saturday that she and her son would be "dead by morning" if they were not rescued. That prompted a welfare check at the home by Sandy police.
Officers arrested 33-year-old Troy Reed Critchfield and booked him into jail for investigation of aggravated kidnapping, forcible sodomy, aggravated assault, domestic violence, child abuse, animal cruelty and other charges.
He remained in jail on Monday.
It was not immediately clear whether Critchfield had an attorney.
Police say the woman hid in a closet and used a laptop to post the Facebook message.
utah, facebook, kidnapping, rescue, national/world
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead 26 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Local help on the way for tornado victims
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 22 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids 22 min ago
- Street-level interactive weather map
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
26 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos