Prosecutor in Casey Anthony trial runs for office
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - January 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- A prosecutor in the Casey Anthony murder trial says he is running for the state attorney's office in central Florida.
In a video posted Sunday on the Orlando Sentinel's website, Jeff Ashton said he would challenge his former boss, Lawson Lamar, to be the Orange-Osceola State Attorney.
Ashton worked for the state attorney's office for 30 years. He retired as planned days after Anthony was found not guilty in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.
Ashton says he would offer voters the choice between a prosecutor and a politician. He says he hopes the election won't focus on the Anthony trial.
florida, casey anthony, national/world
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of Pa. Trooper's wife 20 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber