Prosecutor in Casey Anthony trial runs for office
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - January 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- A prosecutor in the Casey Anthony murder trial says he is running for the state attorney's office in central Florida.
In a video posted Sunday on the Orlando Sentinel's website, Jeff Ashton said he would challenge his former boss, Lawson Lamar, to be the Orange-Osceola State Attorney.
Ashton worked for the state attorney's office for 30 years. He retired as planned days after Anthony was found not guilty in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.
Ashton says he would offer voters the choice between a prosecutor and a politician. He says he hopes the election won't focus on the Anthony trial.
florida, casey anthony, national/world
- School closings and delays 32 min ago
- Tracking More Snow 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays 10 min ago
- Video: Downed power line in Lower Merion
- Video: Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions
- Video: John Rawlins reports on a slushy start
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally 32 min ago
- Tracking More Snow
3 min ago