French journalist found dead in Yemen
SANAA, Yemen - January 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- A French journalist was found strangled with an electrical wire in his hotel room in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa on Monday, security officials said.
The dead man was tied to the bed when his body was discovered. The security officials declined to identify him or given any motive for the killing and they spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.
The hotel, Al-Maali, is near the presidential palace in an area controlled by Yemen's Republican Guard, an elite force commanded by the son of President Ali Abdullah Saleh. The guards have been battling renegade troops and armed tribesmen in Sanaa for months as Saleh tries to cling to power in the face of a popular uprising demanding he step down and stand trial.
A hotel worker, who did not want to be named because he feared reprisals, said the victim checked into the hotel about five days ago.
france, yemen, national/world
- Delaware County mail carrier accused of theft
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co. 5 min ago
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load