Ga. hospital shootings suspect charged with murder
FORT OGLETHORPE, Ga. (AP) - January 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 59-year-old Tennessee man has been formally charged with murder in the fatal shootings of his wife and mother-in-law in the waiting room of a Georgia hospital.
A judge in north Georgia on Saturday charged James Benson of Chattanooga, Tenn., the day after police say he killed the two women at Hutcheson Medical Center.
Benson did not speak during the brief hearing. Police say he worked as a security guard and had no criminal record, but was separated from his wife and had been seen fighting with her earlier in the week.
The suspect's wife, 56-year-old Mary Benson of Rossville, Ga., was killed Friday evening along with her mother, 76-year-old Charlotte Johnson.
Authorities said Benson drove to the police station and turned himself in after the shootings.
shooting, hospitals, georgia, national/world
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 35 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, traps parents in room 21 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
35 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
21 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos