National/World

Trial for soldier in Fort Hood bomb plot delayed

Tuesday, January 10, 2012
This undated photo released by the U.S. Army shows Pfc. Naser Abdo. Abdo, 21, arrested Wednesday, July 27, 2011, who had weapons stashed in a motel room near Fort Hood, Texas, admitted planning an attack on the post, where 13 people died in 2009 in the worst mass shooting ever on a U.S. military installation, the Army said in an alert issued Thursday. (AP Photo/U.S. Army)

This undated photo released by the U.S. Army shows Pfc. Naser Abdo. Abdo, 21, arrested Wednesday, July 27, 2011, who had weapons stashed in a motel room near Fort Hood, Texas, admitted planning an attack on the post, where 13 people died in 2009 in the worst mass shooting ever on a U.S. military installation, the Army said in an alert issued Thursday. (AP Photo/U.S. Army)

The trial for a soldier charged with planning to bomb a restaurant filled with Fort Hood troops has been delayed until May.

Pfc. Naser Jason Abdo's trial had been scheduled for later this month. But U.S. District Judge Walter Smith issued a written ruling Monday saying the delay will give defense attorneys more time to prepare.

The judge had approved Abdo's request for a new attorney last month.

Abdo faces up to life in prison if convicted of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and eight other charges.

He was arrested in July at a Killeen motel near the Texas Army post. Authorities say they found a handgun and the ingredients for an explosive device in his room and backpack and that he told investigators about his plot.

(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more National/World »


Tags:
fort hood, trial, national/world
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement