Judge: John Edwards has life-threatening condition
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) - January 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A federal judge says she has two letters from a cardiologist saying ex-presidential candidate John Edwards has a life-threatening condition that will require surgery in February.
The letters were revealed during a hearing Friday to consider whether the 58-year-old ex-North Carolina Senator would go on trial later this month for alleged campaign finance violations.
Attorneys for Edwards were seeking a 60-day delay to allow time for Edwards to recover. The judge delayed the trial to March 26.
Edwards was in court at the judge's request, although doctors advised him to avoid travel and all court proceedings.
Prosecutors say they're ready to try Edwards on six felony and misdemeanor counts related to nearly $1 million from wealthy donors used to help hide his pregnant mistress during his 2008 While House run.
north carolina, john edwards, national/world
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 25 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
57 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos