Italian captain being placed under house arrest
ROME - January 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A lawyer says the captain who allegedly abandoned the crippled Costa Concordia cruise liner will be released from jail and placed under house arrest.
Sky TG24 TV and the Italian news agency ANSA quoted the defense lawyer, Bruno Leporatti, as saying a judge turned down prosecutors' request to keep Capt. Francesco Schettino in jail. But, the lawyer says, the judge also rejected a defense bid to set Schettino free.
The death toll the Costa Concordia tragedy rose to 11 on Tuesday when five bodies - four men and one woman - were recovered from the submerged portion of the ship, which ran into a reef, then capsized near the Tuscan island of Giglio on Friday night.
Rescuers are continuing to search the partially submerged ship for about two dozen people who are still missing.
Family: No word on Minn. couple missing on cruise
The family of a Minnesota couple missing after the ship capsized say they have received no word on the couple.
The family of Jerry and Barbara Heil of White Bear Lake, Minn., say in a blog posting they have nothing to report.
The family says it will await word from the U.S. Embassy and Italian authorities on the newly discovered passengers. And they ask people to continue praying for the other passengers and the safety of the rescuers.
Rescuers continue to search the ship for about two dozen people still missing.
italy, cruises, accident, national/world
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video 13 min ago
- Wet to Wintry! 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line 15 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon 24 min ago
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea 55 min ago
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 14 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught...
13 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish...
15 min ago
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston...
24 min ago