Chicago police arrest 7 in video beating of teen
CHICAGO - January 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- Chicago police have arrested seven teenagers in the beating and robbery of a 17-year-old high school student that was recorded on video and posted online.
Police announced the arrests Wednesday morning and said they included a 15-year-old girl.
One of the teens was charged as an adult in the attack that went viral after being posted on YouTube. The rest were cited in juvenile delinquency petitions. All were charged with one count each of robbery and aggravated battery.
On the video, several attackers are seen repeatedly kicking and punching the victim on the ground Sunday afternoon in an alley on the city's South Side. Authorities say the victim is of Asian descent, and the assailants can be heard repeating racial slurs.
Even so, police say the beating did not appear racially motivated.
beating, robbery, viral videos, chicago, youtube, national/world
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police