Chicago police arrest 7 in video beating of teen
CHICAGO - January 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- Chicago police have arrested seven teenagers in the beating and robbery of a 17-year-old high school student that was recorded on video and posted online.
Police announced the arrests Wednesday morning and said they included a 15-year-old girl.
One of the teens was charged as an adult in the attack that went viral after being posted on YouTube. The rest were cited in juvenile delinquency petitions. All were charged with one count each of robbery and aggravated battery.
On the video, several attackers are seen repeatedly kicking and punching the victim on the ground Sunday afternoon in an alley on the city's South Side. Authorities say the victim is of Asian descent, and the assailants can be heard repeating racial slurs.
Even so, police say the beating did not appear racially motivated.
beating, robbery, viral videos, chicago, youtube, national/world
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought 3 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Suspect sought after West Philadelphia bank robbery
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos