Rick Williams' countdown to SC primary
COLUMBIA - January 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Action News anchor Rick Williams has the latest report live in South Carolina, just hours away now from the pivotal primary.
Friday is the day before voters in South Carolina weigh in on the field of Republican presidential hopefuls and polls show it could be another close contest.
The latest numbers according to Real Clear Politics Poll put Newt Gingrich at 32.5 percent, Mitt Romney close behind with 31.5 percent, Ron Paul with 14 percent, and Rick Santorum trialing behind with 11.8 percent.
After a heated debate Thursday, its still too close to call and the excitement is growing among voters in the conservative state.
"This is like the Super Bowl almost in South Carolina," said one potential voter.
Saturday's primary is steeped in history and tradition. Since 1980, every candidate that has won evenutally went on to clinch the Republican nomination.
That's why this primary is so crucial. A win by Romney could effectively end the race and a win by Gingrich or Santorum suddenly makes the race wide open.
In the town of Gilbert, close to 100 Romney supporters waited in the pouring rain for their candidate to make an appearance.
During the rally, he tried to reclaim the momentum he lost to Gingrinch following Thursday's debate.
All of the candidates will spend one final day of campaigning, trying to hammer home their message and hoping to somehow rise above the political drama.
south carolina, election, national/world, rick williams
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 39 min ago
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos