Indonesian girl eaten by crocodile
MAUMERE, Indonesia (AP) - January 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials say a crocodile swallowed a girl in Indonesia as her father looked on helplessly.
District official Victor Mado Waton says the 10-year-old girl was searching for turtles with her father and brother in East Nusatenggara province when a giant saltwater crocodile sprang from a river and pulled her in.
Waton said Saturday that villagers found pieces of her clothing several hours later but there was no sign of her body.
Waton said the girl's father was a few yards (meters) away when the crocodile attacked Thursday but there was nothing he could do.
Last month, a boy was killed by a crocodile in the same river.
Villagers living near the river have reported a loss of livestock in recent weeks as well.
indonesia, animal attacks, animals, national/world
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Video: Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash