Indonesian girl eaten by crocodile
MAUMERE, Indonesia (AP) - January 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials say a crocodile swallowed a girl in Indonesia as her father looked on helplessly.
District official Victor Mado Waton says the 10-year-old girl was searching for turtles with her father and brother in East Nusatenggara province when a giant saltwater crocodile sprang from a river and pulled her in.
Waton said Saturday that villagers found pieces of her clothing several hours later but there was no sign of her body.
Waton said the girl's father was a few yards (meters) away when the crocodile attacked Thursday but there was nothing he could do.
Last month, a boy was killed by a crocodile in the same river.
Villagers living near the river have reported a loss of livestock in recent weeks as well.
indonesia, animal attacks, animals, national/world
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos