Small-town Ky. mayor shot dead, suspect surrenders
HICKMAN, Ky. - January 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- The mayor of a small western Kentucky town has been shot and killed in his home, and a suspect turned himself in shortly afterward.
Hickman Police Chief Tony Grogan says Mayor Charles Murphy was slain early Monday morning in the town of about 2,500 people. Grogan says 30-year-old Thomas Joseph Lattus walked into the police department around 1 a.m. and admitted to the shooting, and he was charged with murder.
An officer then went to the home of the second-term mayor and found his body in the bedroom.
Lattus was being held at the Fulton County Detention Facility, where records do not indicate whether he has an attorney. A home phone number for Lattus could not immediately be found Monday morning.
Grogan did not say anything about a motive.
shooting, kentucky, national/world
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 3 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 2 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest