Utah professor in porn-on-plane case resigns job
SALT LAKE CITY - January 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- A University of Utah professor charged with viewing child pornography on a plane has resigned.
University spokesman Remi Barron says 47-year-old Grant Smith stepped down last month, several weeks after he was arrested Nov. 26 following a flight from Salt Lake City to Boston.
He had been placed on paid administrative leave upon his arrest, but Barron tells the Deseret News (http://bit.ly/xmWxcT ) Smith left before the school started any internal disciplinary action against him.
Prosecutors say a fellow first-class passenger saw Smith viewing the images and took a cellphone photo before alerting a flight attendant.
Smith was a materials science and engineering professor at the university. He has pleaded not guilty to child pornography possession.
child porn, utah, national/world
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack 33 min ago
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 19 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 35 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos