Guilty plea in Utah airplane knife smuggling case
SALT LAKE CITY - January 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Utah man accused of smuggling a knife onto an airplane and threatening to kill police pleaded guilty to a reduced charge in federal court Thursday.
David Alan Anderson entered a guilty plea to a single count of possessing a dangerous weapon in Salt Lake City's U.S. District Court.
Prosecutors dropped two other felony charges in exchange for the plea.
The 60-year-old faces a maximum prison term of 10 years at sentencing April 9.
Anderson was arrested Sept. 18 after being removed from a Las Vegas-bound Delta Airlines flight in Salt Lake City. Authorities said he threatened to kill his seatmate in a dispute over a shared armrest.
Police later found Anderson had a knife in a carry-on bag and was arrested.
"I'm going to kill you in front of your children," Anderson told a police officer during an interrogation, authorities said in court papers.
Defense attorney Steven Killpack later told a judge that Anderson was a distinguished retired Salt Lake City attorney who was not taking his medications for anxiety and a biploar disorder.
A judge initially held Anderson in jail, but released him late October on the condition that Anderson undergoes mental health treatment prior to a federal trial.
On Thursday, Killpack said the plea agreement is an excellent resolution to Anderson's case.
Anderson mistakenly left a folding knife inside a briefcase and never intended to take it onto the plane, Killpack said.
A security officer monitoring an X-ray machine when Anderson came through with the knife did not see the weapon. That person was sent for further training, Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman Lorie Dankers has said.
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in missing Malaysian jet 9 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in missing...
9 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos