Boston hospital seeks dismissal of sex abuse suit
BOSTON - January 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Lawyers for Children's Hospital Boston have asked a Massachusetts judge to dismiss a lawsuit brought by 11 former patients of a renowned pediatrician who they say sexually abused them in North Carolina.
The plaintiffs say the hospital could have prevented alleged abuse by the late Dr. Melvin Levine if it had reported accusations of abuse that arose while he worked in Boston from 1966 to 1985.
Levine killed himself last year after he was sued by alleged victims in Boston, where he was accused giving medically unnecessary genital exams to dozens of boys.
Levine later worked at the University of North Carolina Medical School.
Children's lawyers told a judge Thursday that the hospital had no legal obligation to forward the allegations.
The Boston Globe reports that a plaintiffs' attorney said the public relies on the medical community for such information.
boston, child sex assault, national/world
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 10 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep 27 min ago
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash