Experts, officials to testify on Cuba oil drilling
MIAMI - January 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Members of the U.S. Coast Guard, experts and U.S. officials will testify on the risk of oil drilling off the coast of Cuba, and whether the U.S. is prepared for any possible spill.
Those expected to speak Monday at the satellite congressional sub-committee hearing in Sunny Isles, just north of Miami Beach, include U.S. Rep Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who chairs the House Foreign Affairs Committee. Also on the list, fellow South Florida Cuban-American U.S. Reps. Mario Diaz-Balart and David Rivera. They will discuss possible impacts of the deep-water oil drilling Cuba is seeking to begin.
Ros-Lehtinen wants to deny U.S. visas to anyone helping the Cuban government advance its oil drilling plans.
Florida University Professor John Proni says spills could reach U.S. coastal waters, seriously damaging the nation's ecology and economy.
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases