Police: 11 arrested at Occupy DC site
WASHINGTON (AP) - February 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say 11 people have been arrested in Washington's McPherson Square since Park Police began clearing away tents from one of the nation's last remaining Occupy sites.
David Schlosser, who is a spokesman for the U.S. Park Police, said Sunday that one of those arrested was charged with felony assault on a police officer and assault with a deadly weapon. That person is accused of hitting an officer in the face with a brick Saturday evening. The officer was treated at a hospital.
Three others were charged with assault on a police officer.
Schlosser says officials are continuing to clear the park of unsanitary conditions, though so far Sunday things had remained mostly peaceful.
On Saturday night, the protesters vowed to continue their movement and urged followers to remain nonviolent.
washington, d.c., occupy movement, protest, national/world
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing 41 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 39 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
39 min ago