Virus strikes cruise ship out of New Orleans
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - February 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- A stomach virus has stricken people on a third U.S. cruise ship, with a vessel sailing from New Orleans delayed by norovirus.
Port of New Orleans spokesman Chris Bonura said Sunday that Royal Caribbean's "Voyager of the Sea" left a couple of hours late on Saturday because of the illnesses.
WDSU-TV reports that about 200 passengers became ill. Norovirus causes vomiting and diarrhea. It's easily spread in close quarters such as cruise ships and nursing homes.
The company did not immediately return a call and email seeking further details.
Earlier in the weekend, a pair of Princess Cruise Line ships sailing from Fort Lauderdale reported outbreaks of illness. They were delayed in departing on their next trips while they were disinfected.
new orleans, louisiana, national/world
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 13 min ago
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington 35 min ago
- 1 person burned in fast-moving house fire 36 min ago
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
13 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
35 min ago
- 1 person burned in fast-moving house fire
36 min ago
- Tips for Pet Care Savings
11 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos