CNN suspends Martin for 'offensive' comments
NEW YORK (AP) - February 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- CNN is suspending political analyst Roland Martin for tweets during the Super Bowl that the network said were "offensive" and that some critics said were anti-gay.
Martin commented on Twitter about a commercial during the Super Bowl that showed soccer star David Beckham in underwear: "If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham's H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him."
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation said the remark advocated violence against gays. Martin said he was making a joke about soccer.
CNN said Wednesday that Martin's remarks were "regrettable and offensive" and he will not be on air "for the time being."
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse 40 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 33 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 39 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 37 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
32 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater...
40 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos