Police: Boy, 6, started double-fatal Pa. blaze
PITTSBURGH - February 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Investigators say a 6-year-old Pittsburgh boy set fire to a piece of paper that caught a couch on fire, sparking a blaze that killed a couple who lived in an upstairs apartment.
City police aren't identifying the boy who lived in the downstairs apartment with his mother and two brothers. The boy is undergoing a psychiatric evaluation but cannot be charged with a crime in Pennsylvania because he's under 10.
Police say the boy's mother apparently tried to put out the fire before calling 911 and fleeing with her children.
The fire started about 2 a.m. Wednesday and killed a man and woman who lived in a third-floor apartment in the same converted house.
The Allegheny County medical examiner has yet to release their names or causes of death.
pittsburgh, fire, national/world
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Computer outage delays travelers at Phila. Airport 34 min ago
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify 15 min ago
- Wilmington boy reported missing found safe 46 min ago
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Public hearing underway on city demo procedures 23 min ago
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- FBI hunt for ex-Teamster boss Hoffa's remains ends
- Rollings Stones review: How old is too old? 25 min ago