Agency rebuilding World Trade Center vows reforms
NEW YORK - February 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Top officials at the government agency rebuilding the World Trade Center promised Thursday to make reforms after an audit called the organization "dysfunctional" and wasteful.
Auditors at Navigant Consulting issued a report Tuesday saying the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is plagued by inconsistent leadership, bad planning and poor cost controls. The audit criticized the agency for failing to rein in spending on the World Trade Center project, which now has an estimated price tag of $14.8 billion. Today, the authority carries $19.5 billion in debt, or more than $1,000 for every person living in the New York City metro area.
David Samson, chairman of the Port Authority board of commissioners, said Thursday that the agency has already begun a second review, with a goal of overhauling the way it plans and finances major construction projects.
He also called for an examination of employee compensation and benefits, which he suggested were more generous than those enjoyed by other public sector workers. The audit had noted that 93 percent of the authority's workers pay no health insurance premiums and that the authority spent $85 million on overtime in 2010, averaging $20,559 in add-on compensation per worker.
"This report is not going on a shelf to gather dust," Samson said.
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered the audit after the agency's board voted to raise bridge and tunnel tolls last summer. Samson, a Christie appointee, and board Vice Chairman Scott Rechler, a Cuomo appointee, said they saw nothing in the audit that suggested that those increases should or could be rolled back.
new york, 9/11 attacks, national/world
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 25 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 46 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 48 min ago
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 28 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 58 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 51 min ago
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 38 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 57 min ago
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 59 min ago
- Video: Pa. contender in Sriracha search for new home 18 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
25 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
16 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
46 min ago