Pa. couple: We captured purple squirrel, freed it
JERSEY SHORE, Pa. - February 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- A central Pennsylvania couple say they've captured a purple squirrel in their backyard.
Jersey Shore resident Percy Emert says he and his wife, Connie, caught the purple squirrel Sunday in a trap with peanuts. He says even the insides of its ears were purple.
Photos of the purple squirrel ended up online.
The couple say they released the squirrel Tuesday. They say a state game warden later took samples of purple fur left in its cage and trimmed from its tail.
A Pittsburgh Zoo curator who saw a photo of the squirrel on his cellphone says he thinks it looks like a gray squirrel tinged in purple. He joked Thursday it may have fallen into a portable toilet that had blue coloration.
Accuweather.com first reported the discovery.
pennsylvania, animals, national/world
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station... 9 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 52 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire 22 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
52 min ago