1 dead, 1 hurt in Calif. federal building shooting
LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) - February 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A federal immigration agent shot and seriously wounded a co-worker during a Thursday evening workplace confrontation before another agent pulled his weapon and shot the gunman to death inside a Southern California federal building, the FBI said.
The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents were shot on the seventh floor of the Glenn M. Anderson Federal Building in Long Beach, about 20 miles south of downtown Los Angeles.
The 5:54 p.m. Thursday shootings were described by the FBI's Steven Martinez as a case of "workplace violence involving two federal agents in their office space." He offered no other details about what led to the initial shooting.
But the Los Angeles Times, citing multiple law enforcement sources, reported Friday that the initial shots were fired by an agent at his supervisor during an unspecified dispute.
"Another agent, working nearby, intervened and fired his weapon to prevent additional rounds being fired at the victim," said Martinez, the assistant director in charge of the FBI's Los Angeles office.
The gunman died at the scene and the wounded agent was hospitalized at St. Mary Medical Center. ICE Special Agent in Charge Claude Arnold would only say he was stable.
St. Mary's hospital trauma director James Murray told KCAL-TV that the injured agent had multiple gunshot wounds, but he didn't give details. The victim's vital signs were "good for now," Murray said.
The names of the dead gunman, the victim and the agent who fired the final rounds were not released.
There were conflicting early reports about the number of people shot, with local authorities saying two were dead and one wounded, while ICE said one was dead and one wounded.
The Long Beach federal building houses ICE, the Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Probation and Parole Office.
"At times like this, words honestly seem inadequate. When something like this happens in our offices, it's incomprehensible," Arnold said.
Along with the FBI, the shooting was being investigated by ICE's Office of Professional Responsibility and Long Beach police.
immigration, california, shooting, national/world
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 59 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 45 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- London theater partially collapses; 80...
59 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos