More remains linked to "Speed Freak Killers' found
SAN ANDREAS, Calif. - February 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say more human remains have been recovered in Northern California near the site where two victims of a convicted serial killer were recently found.
San Joaquin County Sheriff's spokesman Les Garcia says the remains were found Thursday when crews, with the help of cadaver dogs, expanded a search area near the Calaveras County community of San Andreas.
Investigators have been searching the area after Wesley Shermantine led authorities to the site earlier this month. The search area is on property that Shermantine's family once owned.
Authorities are checking if the remains found Thursday are from another victim of Shermantine and Loren Herzog, dubbed the "Speed Freak Killers" for their killing spree in the 1980s and 1990s.
Shermantine has also led authorities to a well in San Joaquin County where investigators have found hundreds of human bone fragments.
california, serial killer, body found, national/world
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 32 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor 55 min ago
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
57 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg...
55 min ago
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
52 min ago
- Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
21 min ago