Suspect wanted in biker funeral killing arrested
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - February 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested a suspect in the death of a motorcycle gang member, ending a months-long search for the victim's fellow Hells Angels member who has been wanted since the fatal shooting at a California funeral.
San Jose police Sgt. Jason Dwyer says Steve Ruiz was taken into custody Saturday night at a motel in Fremont by members of the department's covert response unit.
The 38-year-old Ruiz had been the subject of a widespread manhunt since Steve Tausan was shot and killed during a funeral service for Jeffrey "Jethro" Pettigrew at Oak Hill Cemetery in San Jose on Oct. 15.
Police believe that Ruiz shot and killed Tausan when a fight broke out at the funeral.
The 52-year-old Tausan was one of 4,000 people attending services for Pettigrew, the president of the Hells Angels San Jose chapter, who was slain during a brawl with a rival biker gang in a Nevada casino on Sept. 23.
california, shooting, gangs, national/world
- Upping Saturday's snowfall projections 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others 15 min ago
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in 1 min ago
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Upping Saturday's snowfall projections
10 min ago