2 New Orleans police officers shot, 1 suspect dead
NEW ORLEANS - March 01, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two New Orleans police officers were shot after an early morning traffic stop developed into a gunfight.
Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas says two suspects were also shot around 5:45 a.m. Thursday by the officers. One suspect died at the scene and the other was wounded.
Both wounded officers required surgery. A police spokesman said both were in stable condition as of 9:30 a.m.
The condition of the injured suspect was unknown.
The gunfire happened not far from New Orleans' City Park and near Delgado Community College.
Terry Smith, an employee of a nearby fast food restaurant, identified the dead man as a co-worker and said he was being driven to work by his brother. Smith was angry at police, expressing doubt that the young man was involved in a crime.
new orleans, shooting, police, national/world
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 36 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 39 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...