2 New Orleans police officers shot, 1 suspect dead
NEW ORLEANS - March 01, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two New Orleans police officers were shot after an early morning traffic stop developed into a gunfight.
Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas says two suspects were also shot around 5:45 a.m. Thursday by the officers. One suspect died at the scene and the other was wounded.
Both wounded officers required surgery. A police spokesman said both were in stable condition as of 9:30 a.m.
The condition of the injured suspect was unknown.
The gunfire happened not far from New Orleans' City Park and near Delgado Community College.
Terry Smith, an employee of a nearby fast food restaurant, identified the dead man as a co-worker and said he was being driven to work by his brother. Smith was angry at police, expressing doubt that the young man was involved in a crime.
new orleans, shooting, police, national/world
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run