2 New Orleans police officers shot, 1 suspect dead
NEW ORLEANS - March 01, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two New Orleans police officers were shot after an early morning traffic stop developed into a gunfight.
Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas says two suspects were also shot around 5:45 a.m. Thursday by the officers. One suspect died at the scene and the other was wounded.
Both wounded officers required surgery. A police spokesman said both were in stable condition as of 9:30 a.m.
The condition of the injured suspect was unknown.
The gunfire happened not far from New Orleans' City Park and near Delgado Community College.
Terry Smith, an employee of a nearby fast food restaurant, identified the dead man as a co-worker and said he was being driven to work by his brother. Smith was angry at police, expressing doubt that the young man was involved in a crime.
new orleans, shooting, police, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 19 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ