Ore. man pleads guilty in theft scheme
PORTLAND, Ore. - March 01, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Portland man has done more than just plead guilty to conspiracy in thefts that netted millions - he has led investigators to a safe deposit stash of nearly $2 million.
Vincent Cabello, 39, pleaded guilty Wednesday in federal court to two conspiracy counts involving bank larceny and money laundering, The Oregonian reported (http://is.gd/2mBKO0).
His parents, 64-year-old Archie and 59-year-old Marian Cabello, are also involved in the case and are set to stand trial in April.
According to court documents, after the younger Cabello sat down with investigators recently, FBI agents searched a safe deposit box in Bellevue, Wash., finding nearly $2 million in $100 bills.
Vincent Cabello and his parents were accused in three heists that investigators said were inside jobs disguised as robberies. Two involved armored cars that Cabello's father drove and a third was at a security company where the son worked.
The thefts date to 1995 and 1998 in Milwaukee, Wis., and 2005 in Portland. The three family members were indicted in 2010.
Cabello's parents face trial on an array of charges, including bank larceny, possession of stolen bank funds, making false statements on credit applications and conspiracy to commit money laundering.
Court documents say that in December 2005, Archie Cabello was driving for Oregon Armored Service when he pretended that his car had been hijacked at gunpoint as he made a pickup in southeast Portland. He told the FBI that two men, one armed with a pistol, made off with about $3 million.
Federal agents found the story fishy, especially after learning about the Cabellos' connections to the Milwaukee crimes. One was the 1998 theft of more than $700,000 from a vault at a Milwaukee security company where Vincent Cabello was a shipping-and-receiving clerk.
Authorities accuse the Cabello family of spending years hiding stolen money, converting much of it into money orders, which they used to pay off credit cards that they took out under aliases.
Vincent Cabello was scheduled to be sentenced on June 6.
oregon, robbery, national/world
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 18 min ago
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos