Police: 13 hurt in shooting at Tempe, Ariz., club
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -March 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- An altercation outside a night club in suburban Phoenix erupted in shooting, leaving 13 people wounded including two in serious condition, police said Saturday.
Police are looking for two young men as possible suspects, who fled after the gunfire around midnight Friday in the parking of The Clubhouse Music Venue.
Tempe Sgt. Steve Carbajal said at least two of the injured were hospitalized in serious condition, while the others were treated for wounds that appeared less severe.
Police are hunting the pair, described as black men wearing dark clothing, who fled on foot from the club on East Broadway Road, located about 7 miles east of downtown Phoenix.
Carbajal described the shooting as the result of "some sort of altercation" at the club, where a rap music concert was going on.
He didn't have immediate details on the altercation, if both of the men are suspected of firing weapons, and on the type of guns used.
He said some of the injured drove themselves to the various hospitals in the area so police aren't sure if there were other victims besides the 13.
Four hours after the shooting, the parking lot was virtually empty with only police activity apparent. All entrances to the club's parking lot were cordoned off with tape and squad cars were posted around the area.
The website for the club - located in a strip mall within two miles of Arizona State University's main campus in Tempe - says it's been in operation for six years hosting music shows for all age groups nightly.
Calls to the club went unanswered early Saturday.
shooting, arizona, national/world
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 47 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 14 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 17 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball