Police: 13 hurt in shooting at Tempe, Ariz., club
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -March 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- An altercation outside a night club in suburban Phoenix erupted in shooting, leaving 13 people wounded including two in serious condition, police said Saturday.
Police are looking for two young men as possible suspects, who fled after the gunfire around midnight Friday in the parking of The Clubhouse Music Venue.
Tempe Sgt. Steve Carbajal said at least two of the injured were hospitalized in serious condition, while the others were treated for wounds that appeared less severe.
Police are hunting the pair, described as black men wearing dark clothing, who fled on foot from the club on East Broadway Road, located about 7 miles east of downtown Phoenix.
Carbajal described the shooting as the result of "some sort of altercation" at the club, where a rap music concert was going on.
He didn't have immediate details on the altercation, if both of the men are suspected of firing weapons, and on the type of guns used.
He said some of the injured drove themselves to the various hospitals in the area so police aren't sure if there were other victims besides the 13.
Four hours after the shooting, the parking lot was virtually empty with only police activity apparent. All entrances to the club's parking lot were cordoned off with tape and squad cars were posted around the area.
The website for the club - located in a strip mall within two miles of Arizona State University's main campus in Tempe - says it's been in operation for six years hosting music shows for all age groups nightly.
Calls to the club went unanswered early Saturday.
shooting, arizona, national/world
- Snow Arriving 11 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- East Oak Lane apartment fire under control
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Mandela
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow Arriving
11 min ago