Israeli airstrikes kill 15 Gaza militants
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - March 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Israel has been trading airstrikes and rocket fire with Palestinian militants in Gaza for a second consecutive day, killing 15 of the militants.
Egypt has been trying to mediate a cease-fire, but Palestinians fired more than 100 rockets into southern Israel. Some of the rockets hit major cities and one Israeli civilian was seriously wounded.
Israel's Iron Dome missile defense system intercepted more than 25 rockets. The military responded with more than a dozen airstrikes and the targeted killings of Palestinian militants from various Gaza organizations.
Tit-for-tat exchanges between Israel and Palestinians have been routine since the 2009 war, but a flare-up of this intensity is rare. The Arab League called the Israeli attacks a "massacre."
The United Nations has condemned the violence and is calling on both sides to exercise restraint
israel, united nations, national/world
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt 18 min ago
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Man swallows gold bars in India
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos