Israeli airstrikes kill 15 Gaza militants
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - March 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Israel has been trading airstrikes and rocket fire with Palestinian militants in Gaza for a second consecutive day, killing 15 of the militants.
Egypt has been trying to mediate a cease-fire, but Palestinians fired more than 100 rockets into southern Israel. Some of the rockets hit major cities and one Israeli civilian was seriously wounded.
Israel's Iron Dome missile defense system intercepted more than 25 rockets. The military responded with more than a dozen airstrikes and the targeted killings of Palestinian militants from various Gaza organizations.
Tit-for-tat exchanges between Israel and Palestinians have been routine since the 2009 war, but a flare-up of this intensity is rare. The Arab League called the Israeli attacks a "massacre."
The United Nations has condemned the violence and is calling on both sides to exercise restraint
israel, united nations, national/world
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police