Israeli airstrikes kill 15 Gaza militants
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - March 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Israel has been trading airstrikes and rocket fire with Palestinian militants in Gaza for a second consecutive day, killing 15 of the militants.
Egypt has been trying to mediate a cease-fire, but Palestinians fired more than 100 rockets into southern Israel. Some of the rockets hit major cities and one Israeli civilian was seriously wounded.
Israel's Iron Dome missile defense system intercepted more than 25 rockets. The military responded with more than a dozen airstrikes and the targeted killings of Palestinian militants from various Gaza organizations.
Tit-for-tat exchanges between Israel and Palestinians have been routine since the 2009 war, but a flare-up of this intensity is rare. The Arab League called the Israeli attacks a "massacre."
The United Nations has condemned the violence and is calling on both sides to exercise restraint
israel, united nations, national/world
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast 11 min ago
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier