Shooting outside Arizona club leaves 14 wounded
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -March 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Hundreds of concert-goers waiting outside an Arizona nightclub for a hip-hop show fled in panic as shooting erupted involving three gunmen, leaving at least 14 people wounded. Police arrested one suspect and were hunting two others.
Police are looking for two young men as possible suspects, who fled after the gunfire around midnight Friday in the parking of The Clubhouse Music Venue.
Tempe Sgt. Steve Carbajal said at least two of the injured were hospitalized in serious condition, while the others were treated for wounds that appeared less severe.
Police are hunting the pair, described as black men wearing dark clothing, who fled on foot from the club on East Broadway Road, located about 7 miles east of downtown Phoenix.
Carbajal described the shooting as the result of "some sort of altercation" at the club, where a rap music concert was going on.
He didn't have immediate details on the altercation, if both of the men are suspected of firing weapons, and on the type of guns used.
He said some of the injured drove themselves to the various hospitals in the area so police aren't sure if there were other victims besides the 13.
Four hours after the shooting, the parking lot was virtually empty with only police activity apparent. All entrances to the club's parking lot were cordoned off with tape and squad cars were posted around the area.
The website for the club - located in a strip mall within two miles of Arizona State University's main campus in Tempe - says it's been in operation for six years hosting music shows for all age groups nightly.
Calls to the club went unanswered early Saturday.
shooting, arizona, national/world
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 13 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 3 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 11 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
13 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
11 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
3 min ago