American Airlines jet delayed by 'altercation'
DALLAS - March 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two crew members on an American Airlines plane were injured Friday after an altercation that passengers say started when a flight attendant ranted about the plane crashing.
The incident happened while the plane was preparing to take off from Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and fly to Chicago.
Bethany Christakos of Dallas, seated toward the rear of the plane, said passengers started "freaking out" as one of the flight attendants gave a rambling, 15-minute speech on the plane's public-address system.
"She said, 'I'm not responsible for this plane crashing,'" Christakos said.
Another passenger, Brad LeClear of Fox Lake, Ill., said he helped restrain the flight attendant, whom he said acted oddly and mentioned something about 9-11.
"She is obviously sick and needs to take her medicine," LeClear said.
The pilot radioed air traffic controllers for permission to return to the gate and be met by airport police.
American Airlines spokesman Ed Martelle said that "an incident occurred involving some of the cabin crew," and that two flight attendants were taken to local hospitals for treatment. He did not provide their names or information about their injuries or conditions.
Martelle said the cabin crew was replaced and the plane, Flight 2332, took off for Chicago's O'Hare Airport about 80 minutes behind schedule. He said customers were not in danger at any time.
A spokesman for DFW Airport said no state criminal charges were being considered.
Johnson reported from Chicago.
texas, dallas, american airlines, national/world
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought 39 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills 40 min ago
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle 4 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos