300 nude bicyclists hit Peru streets in protest
LIMA - March 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- About 300 nude bicyclists have ridden through the Peruvian capital of Lima to call attention to safety conditions and demand measures protecting cyclists.
Event organizer Octavio Zegarra says the protesters took to their bicycles nude Saturday to show that "this is our body. With this we go out in the streets. We don't have a car to protect us."
Zegarra asks others to "please respect us."
Official statistics show 2,830 people died in traffic accidents in Peru in 2011.
peru, protest, national/world
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow 54 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police