3-year-old boy in Wash. kills self with gun in car
SEATTLE - March 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a man has a concealed weapons permit for the gun his 3-year-old son used to fatally shoot himself while his family stopped for gas in Tacoma.
Police Officer Naveed Benjamin says the Tacoma-area family stopped at a gas station at about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday.
The father put his pistol under the seat and got out to pump gas while the mother went inside the convenience store.
They left the boy and a 4- or 5-year-old daughter in the car. The boy climbed out of his child seat, found the gun and shot himself in the head.
He was declared dead at a hospital. The girl was not injured.
It was western Washington's third recent shooting by a child.
Detectives questioned the parents and say the shooting is a tragic accident.
accident, shooting, children, washington, national/world
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 44 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del. 27 min ago
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark,...
27 min ago