Judge freezes assets of Mass. mobster's girlfriend
BOSTON - March 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- A federal judge has approved the prosecution's request and frozen the assets of Catherine Greig (grehg), the girlfriend of reputed Boston mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger, who has pleaded guilty to harboring him for the 16 years the couple was on the lam.
The order issued Thursday freezes a bank account with more than $115,000 in it, and bars the sale of Greig's Quincy home and a South Boston home she has an interest in.
Prosecutors asked that the assets be frozen to pay fines she may be assessed after pleading guilty last week.
The U.S. Attorney's Office says Greig's twin sister emptied $134,545 from Greig's bank account in December, six months after the fugitives were captured, and transferred the money to another bank. Prosecutors say only $115,500 remains.
boston, trial, national/world
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 43 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 5 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges 56 min ago
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County 5 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop 48 min ago
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
43 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos