Judge freezes assets of Mass. mobster's girlfriend
BOSTON - March 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- A federal judge has approved the prosecution's request and frozen the assets of Catherine Greig (grehg), the girlfriend of reputed Boston mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger, who has pleaded guilty to harboring him for the 16 years the couple was on the lam.
The order issued Thursday freezes a bank account with more than $115,000 in it, and bars the sale of Greig's Quincy home and a South Boston home she has an interest in.
Prosecutors asked that the assets be frozen to pay fines she may be assessed after pleading guilty last week.
The U.S. Attorney's Office says Greig's twin sister emptied $134,545 from Greig's bank account in December, six months after the fugitives were captured, and transferred the money to another bank. Prosecutors say only $115,500 remains.
boston, trial, national/world
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ