Man calls 911, tells dispatcher he shot his wife
TAMPA, Fla. - March 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Tampa, Fla., man called 911 and told dispatchers he killed his wife because he couldn't stand to see her suffer any more.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office released the 911 tapes Thursday, two days after authorities say 61-year-old Randall Willis shot Gilda Beth, also 61.
Records show Willis' home was foreclosed on and was scheduled for a public sale the day of the shooting.
The Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/GQfQ39) reports Willis told the dispatcher his sleeping wife didn't know he was going to shoot her. He said his wife had been sick and that they'd "been through hell."
Deputies say the woman was shot once in the chest.
Willis was on the porch when deputies arrived. He faces second-degree murder charges and is being held in the Hillsborough County Jail.
florida, 9-1-1 call, national/world
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 22 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold...
20 min ago