What Obama's health care law does
A brief summary of the 900-page plus Affordable Care Act, unless noted provisions take effect in 2014
-Provides coverage to more than 30 million uninsured.
-Expands Medicaid to cover more uninsured low-income people.
-Creates exchanges, state-based health insurance markets, for small businesses and people buying private coverage individually.
-Provides government subsidies for many middle-class people buying private health insurance through an exchange.
-Allows young adults to stay on parents' coverage until age 26. Already in effect.
-Requires health plans to cover preventive care without charging co-pays. Already in effect.
-Requires most citizens and legal residents to carry health insurance, either through an employer, a government program or by buying a policy directly. IRS will assess fines for noncompliance.
-Requires companies with 50 or more workers to provide coverage, or pay fines if any of their employees ends up getting a health insurance subsidy.
-Raises taxes on upper-income households; imposes a variety of taxes and fees on the health care industry. Places a 10 percent sales tax on indoor tanning. Some taxes already in effect.
-Cuts Medicare payments to hospitals, insurers and other service providers; improves preventive benefits for Medicare recipients and gradually closes prescription drug coverage gap. Limits future increases in Medicare spending. Some Medicare provisions already in effect.
-Significantly increases federal regulation of the health insurance industry. Already in effect.
-Congressional Budget Office estimates coverage expansion will have a net cost of $1.1 trillion from 2012-2021. Spending cuts and tax increases are currently projected to offset the cost, for a modest reduction in federal budget deficits.
president barack obama, health care, national/world
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 35 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 1 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
1 min ago