What Obama's health care law does
A brief summary of the 900-page plus Affordable Care Act, unless noted provisions take effect in 2014
-Provides coverage to more than 30 million uninsured.
-Expands Medicaid to cover more uninsured low-income people.
-Creates exchanges, state-based health insurance markets, for small businesses and people buying private coverage individually.
-Provides government subsidies for many middle-class people buying private health insurance through an exchange.
-Allows young adults to stay on parents' coverage until age 26. Already in effect.
-Requires health plans to cover preventive care without charging co-pays. Already in effect.
-Requires most citizens and legal residents to carry health insurance, either through an employer, a government program or by buying a policy directly. IRS will assess fines for noncompliance.
-Requires companies with 50 or more workers to provide coverage, or pay fines if any of their employees ends up getting a health insurance subsidy.
-Raises taxes on upper-income households; imposes a variety of taxes and fees on the health care industry. Places a 10 percent sales tax on indoor tanning. Some taxes already in effect.
-Cuts Medicare payments to hospitals, insurers and other service providers; improves preventive benefits for Medicare recipients and gradually closes prescription drug coverage gap. Limits future increases in Medicare spending. Some Medicare provisions already in effect.
-Significantly increases federal regulation of the health insurance industry. Already in effect.
-Congressional Budget Office estimates coverage expansion will have a net cost of $1.1 trillion from 2012-2021. Spending cuts and tax increases are currently projected to offset the cost, for a modest reduction in federal budget deficits.
president barack obama, health care, national/world
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting
- Record Warmth! 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- Photos: Snowy owl spotted in Strathmere 50 min ago
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Record Warmth!
59 min ago